Facebook Pinterest Twitter Bloglovin' Instagram Email Teachers Pay Teachers Image Map

Math Walls

This year, my district is requiring all teachers to use a math wall in their classroom. Although almost all teachers post the vocabulary words and concepts in their classroom, the math wall differs in that they must be all in the same location. For instance, last year I had vocab words on my word wall at the back of the room, while any math posters were on the whiteboard. This year, I've relocated to one wall at the back of the classroom.




Although it seemed trivial at first, I have noticed a change in the way my students refer to the information. If a student can’t remember something, they don't have to search the room to find what they need. They know they can always find the math concept on this one wall. It took training, but it is not uncommon for students to now get up in the middle of math and walk over to the wall to refresh their memory on what they learned yesterday. 

My wall includes my common core "I can" statements, kid-friendly Standards for Mathematical Practice poster, topic specific vocabulary, the essential question, samples of student work, and a mini poster of the concept. 






Although it was frustrating to get everything together at first, in hindsight I think it was worth it. My students know the information is there for them to refer to, and they are able to build their knowledge on missed concepts more easily. If students are absent, they know they can check out the math wall for help understanding the topic.  I've definitely noticed a difference in my students' learning!

1 comment:

  1. This is definitely something to consider. I usually try to keep my classroom divided into zones: behavior management, academic tracking, reading, and writing. I can appreciate the "white space" aspect of adding everything to one reference wall, though. (

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Jasper Roberts Consulting - Widget