Facebook Pinterest Twitter Bloglovin' Instagram Email Teachers Pay Teachers Image Map

Currently... March!

Thank goodness February is over. It has been a brutal month of winter weather here in Boston! We have over 107 inches of snow, most of which was received in February. Our seasonal average is only 43 inches... and we are getting 3 - 6 more tonight! The weather has been seriously cold, too. Below zero many days without wind chill. Needless to say, I am so ready for this new month and for spring to arrive. Linking up with Farley at Oh Boy Fourth Grade for Currently!



Listening - The sound of a sleeping baby.. is there anything sweeter? My little guy is not a great sleeper, so this is extra special. I'm soaking up every minute of it!

Loving - My new guided reading groups. I'm really in groove lately! I have 7 groups, all in chapter books, so it can be difficult to keep track of. I am staying hyper organized, which has kept us all on track. Fingers crossed we can stick with it!

Thinking - About state testing. Is anyone else taking the PARCC this year? My district piloted it last year, and has adopted it this year. It's a big change from our previous state test! We are still working out the kinks. It's been a challenge, to say the least, because there is so much information that we do not have yet. I've been using the PARCC model content frameworks and the published practice tests to prep my kiddos, but I wish I had more to work with.

Wanting- A magic housework fairy. Do they make those? :) There just aren't enough hours in the day!

Needing- To catch up on correcting. I seem to get in a slump this time of year and the papers pile up. I hate holding on to things! I much prefer to give immediate feedback and let the kiddos see my comments right away. I definitely have to get back on track.

Spring break plans- none for me! I'm in Massachusetts, and most schools here have two "spring vacations"- one in February and one in April. I'm not sure why, but it's been this way for as long as anyone (including my grandparents, who are in their seventies) can remember.


My district is currently out of contract and in negotiations. One of the items that our city would like to add to the contract is breaking up our paychecks over the course of the calendar year. Currently, we are paid only during the school year. This would be a mandatory change. It got me wondering, how is everyone else paid? Help me out- participate in my anonymous poll!




12 comments:

  1. I love the sound of a sleeping baby. My middle baby was not a great sleeper, but my youngest was great! Enjoy it! And if you find that magic housework fairy, send them my way. We could definitely use it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are taking PARCC for the first year. We are only taking the math portion in third grade, though. We are still taking Ohio's reading assessment this year. Next year we will switch over to PARCC for all subjects. People in Ohio are complaining about all the snow we have gotten. I can't even imagine what it has been like for you guys in the northeast!
    Miss King's Enchanted Kingdom

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOooo I love surveys! I teach in Texas so we have no negotiations outside of protesting and bugging the hell out of your state reps. lol :) I don't think I've experienced 107 inches of snow in my life all put together. I hope you have a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A magic housework fairy would be amazing! While we are at it, maybe we should find a magic grading fairy as well. I have a ton of grading that is growing on the table next to me as I type... Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so thankful that we are paid over the entire year so I don't have to budget for those extra months when we are not working. I know I could do it, but it's nice that it is already done for me! Good luck with the negotiations. I hope it works out for your best interests.

    Mrs. 3rd Grade 

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow I didn't even realize these things were mandatory… I don't think I could go without a check during the summer… my husband would budget for us… BUT if it was just me… that's another story!!! ha ha ha thanks so much for linking up and good luck with negotiations

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not much better than a sleeping baby for sure! Love the survey... I have been teaching for 13 years and have never had the option of not getting paid in the summer.. it's just how it is here (Georgia). It's always interesting to see how the rest of the country does things!
    Stacy
    Funky Fresh Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, no spring break?! That's just blasphemy!
    Teaching, Love, Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our PARCC testing starts this week. While my first graders obviously will not be taking it, I am definitely feeling for our third grade teachers in the building this week and next. Best of luck to you that everything goes as smoothly as possible!

    Paige
    Paiges of Learning

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh No! No Spring Break that is rough. We are taking the PARCC test starting next week! I am interfered for my kiddos! I am trying to do guided reading groups, but am really struggling with it. Any suggestions or ideas?

    http://hangingoutwithmissb.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh No! No Spring Break that is rough. We are taking the PARCC test starting next week! I am interfered for my kiddos! I am trying to do guided reading groups, but am really struggling with it. Any suggestions or ideas?

    http://hangingoutwithmissb.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. BOOOO...state testing. Why is yours so early? My district is having theirs the last week of May which is cutting it SUUUPER close to the last few days of school in June.

    A LoveLi Class

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Jasper Roberts Consulting - Widget