Facebook Pinterest Twitter Bloglovin' Instagram Email Teachers Pay Teachers Image Map

April!

I can't believe it's April! Thankfully, my crazy month of March flew by. Glad it's over! Now, time to gear up for report cards (already?!), math & science state testing, and promotion.

Since it's April first, I'm linking up with Oh' Boy 4th Grade for the April Currently!



I didn't know what to put for advice, so I thought I'd go some good life advice. :)

Latoya at Flying into First Grade is on week 4 of her Let's get Acquainted link up. I'm loving getting to know so much about other bloggers!


The theme this week is favorites. Here are mine:
Place to Shop: The Loft. Cute clothes, and the skirts are knee length- hard to find lots of places!
Favorite Show: It's a toss up... Game of Thrones, True Blood, Boardwalk Empire? I have an HBO addiction. All time favorite show is Friends, though!
Sweet Treat: Gifford's black raspberry frozen yogurt... yum.
Food: Pasta! I could eat it every day.
Restaurant: The Green Elephant. It's a couple hours away, but it is seriously the best restaurant I have ever been to. It's hard to find a favorite restaurant when you are a vegetarian, and this one is insanely good.


Do you use math journals? I do, and I love them. I started the year using them sparingly, but I have really found a niche for them in my instruction. I use them for students to take guided notes in, copy important vocabulary, respond to prompts, write reflections, and complete practice problems. I've noticed a correlation between the amount they use the journals to write about their thinking in math and the quality of their verbal responses to questions in class. I love the fact that I can refer back to entries from early in the year to show the students where they came from, too! They can see how far they have come, which is really inspiring to struggling students. Here is an example of something we would put in our journals. I project up on the projector and create the entry along with them. I was inspired by something on pinterest for this, but it was several months ago so I've lost the creator. I changed the name and added a bit, but the shape of the PEMDAS was theirs. I'm sorry- comment if it was yours so I can give you credit!


How do you use math journals?

7 comments:

  1. Oh my! I was almost going to write that I was watching Revenge! Such a great show. Yay! I just found you through the Currently! I'm a new follower.

    Kate
    Second Grade Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Found your blog through the Currently! I like your blog, I am a new follower!

    Heather
    http://mrsbucaroff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mandy!
    Love your hopscotch for operations! I guess I'm the only one who doesn't watch Revenge! I need to start! Great advice! Did you print your poster??!!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the hopscotch idea for order of operations - thanks for sharing. I am not using notebooking yet but I am planning to do it next year - right now I am just compiling (stealing) great ideas from blogs and pinterest.

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! I found you on the April Currently! I LOVE REVENGE!!!! It is getting crazy!
    Come and check out my current Currently!
    Layla

    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss Friends! I like to watch reruns

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't currently use math journals since I don't teach math, but might be teaching 6th grade ALL subjects next year. Biting nails!

    I'm your newest follower!

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Jasper Roberts Consulting - Widget